Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Little Sneak Peek from a few Greek Baptisms

I was asked to photograph my first Greek baptism this past February by a close friend and I have to say that I had no idea what to expect - she told me I had to wear a skirt and could I take some photos of the small family ceremony. What I didn't realize was that when Greeks refer to a small family event, it usually involves at least 100 people! Once I got over my initial shock, I pushed my way through the crowd and sought out the prime spot (this first baptism was standing room only)! They really are beautiful events - there are so many parts to the ceremony and each part is full of such elaborate & ornate detail - the church, the baptismal urn, the child's clothing, the cross, the candles, the blessing....

The ceremonies are spoken completely in greek, which during the 1st baptism was a little un-nerving as I had no idea what was happening but now that I have a few more under my belt I seem to be able to predict where I need to be to get the shots the parents are hoping for. Here are just a few photos from the ceremonies I have attended this year - I have chosen not to include people photos as I think these events really are a private affair, but I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the details I mentioned.








Thank you to all of my parents for allowing me to capture this special day for your child :-)

No comments: